Thursday, May 19, 2011

Just playing....



This morning I thought I'd check out the daily challenge on Splitcoast Stampers. Today's challenge is called "Fine Tune" and we were asked to create something with a musical theme. As luck would have it, yesterday I'd been doing a bit of cleaning up and sorting out sample cards and stamped images that I hadn't found a use for...yet! I had left out an image of stamped sheet music that I had used the "burnt paper" technique on, so I thought I may as well do the challenge. As often happens when I start "playing" I decided to try a few other techniques, so I incorporated the cracked glass technique and also made a metal flower embellishment, which was a tutorial posted on the home page of Splitcoast this week. I've made the flowers before, but I've never been totally happy with the way they turned out. This time I used Pearl metal and cut it out using Tim Holtz Tattered florals die. Then I ran the flowers throught the cuttlebug using the Music embossing folder. After sanding and curling the petals, I assembled them with a brad and a little jewellry finding from my stash. I haven't used the cracked glass technique for years, but I had great fun with it here. You need ultra thick embossing powder to do this technique (I have some in stock)and it's a bit too time consuming to do in a class setting, but if you ever want to see a demo...just let me know. I looked through my stamps for a suitable sentiment, but ended up printing a quote from the computer. Music is a big part of my life, so this was a great challenge to play with. I could get addicted to the metal flowers, but they definitely don't work for cards you need to mail! OK....the sun just came out....I think I need to run outside and soak up a few rays before it vanishes again. Hope it's shining on you right now:)

No comments:

Post a Comment